Monday 7 September 2009

Helmets

I do not cover my professional activities on these pages and have thus far avoided the question of helmets. However I have a letter in this week's Cycling Weekly responding to a call from another cyclist to 'wear your helmet'. It is one thing to hear this from a non cycling Judge (as to which I have vented my views in the New Law Journal and elsewhere, see http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/nlj/content/personal-injury-blame-victim); I do worry though when cyclists themselves look to secondary and uncertain hope of injury reduction rather than the avoidance of accidents. I would like to see increased criminal penalties for those who speed, use mobile phones or drive carelessly/inconsiderately in the vicinity of a vulnerable road user. I say this as a cyclist rather than a lawyer but am all too aware of the lack of zeal often exhibited by prosecuting authorities in motoring cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment